I’m an Urban Sketcher…
- Two days sunshine, heatwave!A couple of wisterias; Chinese on the left, Japanese on the right? Spot the foolish mosquito that interrupted my sketching... #mostlydrawing #bathurbansketchers #botanicalillustration #urbansketcher #urbansketchersSame tree (magnolia ‘umbrella tree’ in Bath Botanical Garden) but different media: ink on left, carbon pencil on right. #mostlydrawing #urbansketching #bathurbansketchers #botanicalillustrationStarted this on one dog walk, returned another day to finish it! Bosky tree in Vicky Park.100+ people sketched this week, mostly in Bath, mostly fude pen dipped in grey/black ink, all funThe first eleven for this year’s challenge to sketch 100 people in one week. #oneweek100people2020 #usk #bathurbansketchers #mostlydrawing
- 402,903 hits
- bamboo dip pen
- bamboo dip pen sketches
- Bath Abbey
- brush-pen sketching
- brush pen
- cafe sketching
- coloured paper
- daily drawing
- De Atramentis inks
- dip pen
- every day matters
- fountain pen
- fountain pen sketch
- fountain pen sketches
- fountain pen sketching
- ink brush sketches
- ink brush sketching
- Kuretake #8
- Lexington grey
- Lexington grey ink
- Manchester Symposium
- marker pen
- noodlers inks
- sketching in Bath
- sketching people
- Talking Heads
- The Clash
- The Kinks
- urban sketching
- urban sketching kit
- urban sketching technique
- white gelly roll pen
- Antonia Santolaya/Enrique Flores A chance to browse through 26 travel sketchbooks. Lots of fresh watercolour, ink and pencil location pictures.
- Buttnekkiddoodles Don Colley’s blog, sharing fabulous brush-pen drawings of people and much else. He’s a big fan of Pitt Artist brush pens.
- Danny Gregory His book ‘The Creative License’ got me sketching, and his other books have helped to keep me going. He has a wonderfully loose style, using dip-pens, saturated colour inks etc.
- Handprint Exceptionally comprehensive information on watercolour paints and equipment. Exhaustive details on pigments, translucency, comparing brands etc. Essential viewing for the true obsessive.
- James Gurney A mine of information on ‘plein air’ painting and sketching from the author of ‘Dinotopia’. Daily posts, always interesting.
- Nina Johansson Stockholm based urban sketching, with lovely clarity and glowing colours. Lots of useful information on sketching kit that helped to get me started.
- Russel Stutler Lots of very useful information on brush pens, palettes, sketching techniques. Based in Japan.
- Steven Reddy Great use of pen drawing and grey ink washes, sometimes combined with clear colour on top.
- The Sketching Forum Informal sharing of ideas, techniques, pictures and general chat about sketching. Set up by Russ Stutler.
- Urban Sketchers A constant parade of individual responses to the challenge of urban sketching. Always good for some inspiration, a new approach to try…
Category Archives: airport
Summer Scilly Isles sketches
Here’s a belated collection from a June trip to the Scilly Isles, thirty miles West of Land’s End. After months of lockdown and restricted travel the trip felt oddly exotic; being in a propeller airplane helped. From the top there’s … Continue reading
A fairly long post with the first of two sets of sketches from a recent trip. This is the Spanish batch, with the French ones to follow… The scene at Bristol airport, drawn from an upper level, the busy crowd … Continue reading
Homage to Catalonia #1
Back from a wonderful time in Catalunya, initially in the hills of the Collsacabra near Tavertet, then in Girona city where I enjoyed meeting up with the local Urban Sketchers group. I was mostly using a new larger sketchbook (it’s … Continue reading
French Collection 2
Various sketches from a trip to Southern France at Easter, mostly bamboo dip-pen and watercolour, with some correction pen and ink-brush for variety. I was busy posting these on Facebook at the time, but forgot to put them here… (And … Continue reading
Sorry for the absence… Here are some sketches from a trip to Southern France in various media with watercolour washes. A sunny morning at Girona airport (drawn in brush-pen), pure watercolour studies of a mountain in the Eastern Pyrenees, looking … Continue reading
Posted in airplane, airport, Bath, France, rooftops, travel, urban, urban sketching, vehicles Tagged airport sketch, bamboo dip pen, Canigou, Collioure, Hot Butter, moped sketch, Perpignan, urban sketching, watercolour mountain sketches 1 Comment
Travelling to Stockholm and back; the view from 38,000 feet (both ways), and fellow passengers at Heathrow and Arlanda (so many free models…). I’d never noticed the plane’s fuselage reflected on the engine before, a good example of the way … Continue reading
Posted in airplane, airport, clouds, figures, journeys, kit, people watching, travel, urban, urban sketching Tagged airplane sketches, airport sketches, sketch of clouds from plane, sketches of view from plane, sketching fellow passengers, sleeping on benches, The Replacements, urban sketching 5 Comments
Fellow passengers on the way to Cordoba; waiting at the airport, sleeping on the plane, and passing time on the train. Pencil works well for larger and more detailed portraits, it can be hard for a face to recover from a poorly placed ink-line… (My previous post got … Continue reading
Take off, in-flight, landing
Scenes from a flight to Stockholm… A sketchy impression of the rolling patchwork landscape around Bristol airport as the plane took off, random images from a flight safety card (including a wildly optimistic ‘landing on water’), and planes waiting at Stockholm’s Arlanda airport under low … Continue reading
Posted in airplane, airport, landscape, line drawing, monochrome, pencil, sketching, Stockholm Tagged airport sketch, Arlanda airport, in-flight drawing, landing on water, Lexington grey, Major Lazer, monochrome sketch, patchwork fields, plane safety card, simple figures, sketching planes, take off view Leave a comment
Enough thumbnails, already…
A last example, for now, of travel thumbnails. This time in a taxi from Istanbul airport to a city centre hotel, where we arrived before I could finish the last frame. The driver was puzzled when I showed him the … Continue reading
Posted in airport, from life, Istanbul, journeys, Lexington grey, monochrome, sketching, urban Tagged city streets, gelly roll, rear view mirror, Rolling Stones, taxi driver, taxi ride, transportation, windscreen view Leave a comment
Travel thumbnails #3, planes
More travel thumbnails in gouache, this time the view from an airplane flying Istanbul to London. The window shapes and wing-tips are a bit wonky… All in Black Pigma 1mm pen, water-brush with Lexington grey ink, gouache, A5 Taxiing down the … Continue reading
Posted in airplane, airport, from life, gouache, journeys, sketching, sky, thumbnails, travel, urban, weather Tagged airplane windows, aviation, clouds, gouache, Heathrow, Istanbul, London, sketch, Thames, travel thumbnails, window shapes 2 Comments