I’m an Urban Sketcher…
- Two days sunshine, heatwave!A couple of wisterias; Chinese on the left, Japanese on the right? Spot the foolish mosquito that interrupted my sketching... #mostlydrawing #bathurbansketchers #botanicalillustration #urbansketcher #urbansketchersSame tree (magnolia ‘umbrella tree’ in Bath Botanical Garden) but different media: ink on left, carbon pencil on right. #mostlydrawing #urbansketching #bathurbansketchers #botanicalillustrationStarted this on one dog walk, returned another day to finish it! Bosky tree in Vicky Park.100+ people sketched this week, mostly in Bath, mostly fude pen dipped in grey/black ink, all funThe first eleven for this year’s challenge to sketch 100 people in one week. #oneweek100people2020 #usk #bathurbansketchers #mostlydrawing
- 402,906 hits
- bamboo dip pen
- bamboo dip pen sketches
- Bath Abbey
- brush-pen sketching
- brush pen
- cafe sketching
- coloured paper
- daily drawing
- De Atramentis inks
- dip pen
- every day matters
- fountain pen
- fountain pen sketch
- fountain pen sketches
- fountain pen sketching
- ink brush sketches
- ink brush sketching
- Kuretake #8
- Lexington grey
- Lexington grey ink
- Manchester Symposium
- marker pen
- noodlers inks
- sketching in Bath
- sketching people
- Talking Heads
- The Clash
- The Kinks
- urban sketching
- urban sketching kit
- urban sketching technique
- white gelly roll pen
- Antonia Santolaya/Enrique Flores A chance to browse through 26 travel sketchbooks. Lots of fresh watercolour, ink and pencil location pictures.
- Buttnekkiddoodles Don Colley’s blog, sharing fabulous brush-pen drawings of people and much else. He’s a big fan of Pitt Artist brush pens.
- Danny Gregory His book ‘The Creative License’ got me sketching, and his other books have helped to keep me going. He has a wonderfully loose style, using dip-pens, saturated colour inks etc.
- Handprint Exceptionally comprehensive information on watercolour paints and equipment. Exhaustive details on pigments, translucency, comparing brands etc. Essential viewing for the true obsessive.
- James Gurney A mine of information on ‘plein air’ painting and sketching from the author of ‘Dinotopia’. Daily posts, always interesting.
- Nina Johansson Stockholm based urban sketching, with lovely clarity and glowing colours. Lots of useful information on sketching kit that helped to get me started.
- Russel Stutler Lots of very useful information on brush pens, palettes, sketching techniques. Based in Japan.
- Steven Reddy Great use of pen drawing and grey ink washes, sometimes combined with clear colour on top.
- The Sketching Forum Informal sharing of ideas, techniques, pictures and general chat about sketching. Set up by Russ Stutler.
- Urban Sketchers A constant parade of individual responses to the challenge of urban sketching. Always good for some inspiration, a new approach to try…
Tag Archives: white gelly roll pen
Lots more fingers and toes, all drawn late in the evening when there’s nothing else around to sketch. Strange to see my hands age so dramatically as the drawings become more detailed, with more lines and shading… (A range of pens and inks, … Continue reading
White Gelly Roll pen, Lexington grey fountain pen and water-brush,watercolour, A6 – 30 minutes Heavy day-time rain drew the garden snails out, so I collected a few and sketched them as they moved across a table. For a creature that’s proverbially slow (1 … Continue reading
Posted in animals, botany, from life, garden, seasonal, white pen Tagged garden snails, Lexington grey fountain pen, shells, snails, spiral, tentacles, The Go! Team, white gelly roll pen 2 Comments
Fish and chips
White Gelly Roll pen, Lexington grey water-brush,white gouache, A6 – 20 minutes A car park overlooking the sea in Aberporth, sketched while waiting for fish and chips, with mushy peas and curry sauce. Cars have odd curves and angles, but it’s also … Continue reading
Posted in coloured paper, from life, holiday, Lexington grey, line drawing, monochrome, sea, vehicles, Wales, white pen Tagged Aberporth, car park, cars, familiarity, seaside, Them, white gelly roll pen Leave a comment
At the fair
Pencil, white Gelly Roll pen, water-brush with dilute Lexington grey ink, gouache, A5 – 20 minutes pencil drawing at the fair, 20 minutes at home with the ink and gouache We’ve been away for the week (I’ll post some seaside sketches soon) and in … Continue reading
Posted in Bath, coloured paper, from life, gouache, park, pencil, trees, urban, vehicles Tagged Beatles, brown paper, fairground, flags, helter skelter, Led Zeppelin, Lexington grey ink, pencil drawing, white gelly roll pen 2 Comments
Fountain pen and water-brush with dilute Lexington grey, watercolour, white Gelly Roll pen, A6 – 25 minutes More condimentia and product placement with another late night sketch of the sauce shelf; spot the old classics (Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce, Heinz ketchup, Tabasco, Kikkoman … Continue reading
Posted in collections, food, from life, home, kitchen, Lexington grey, objects, sketching Tagged bottles, condiments, kitchen shelf, Lea and Perrins, oils, Otis Redding, pepper grinder, sauce bottles, white gelly roll pen 1 Comment
Spring has sprung
Pencil, Lexington grey water-brush and fountain pen, watercolour, white Gelly Roll pen, blue Uni Posca brush pen, A5 – various times A double page spread from last weekend, when the weather was fine, the clocks went forward and everyone was out … Continue reading
Posted in Bath, botany, buildings, coloured paper, flowers, from life, park, people, seasonal, sketching, Spring, urban, waiting Tagged Botanical Gardens, magnolia flower, Mother's day, North Parade Buildings, old couples, park bench, Spring, Uni Posca brush pen, walking sticks, white gelly roll pen Leave a comment
Lexington grey in fountain pen and water-brush, white gelly Roll pen, and white Uni Posca brush pen , A6 – 5 minutes A very quick sketch in a Bath cafe of someone who seemed to be mostly somewhere else, focussed on looking … Continue reading
Black and white
Both done with white Gelly Roll pen, white Uni Posca brush pen, and water-brush with dilute Lexington grey ink, A6 – 25 minutes each A life-cast of William Blake’s head (bought many years ago from the National Portrait Gallery when … Continue reading
Posted in body, coloured paper, Lexington grey, line drawing, monochrome, objects, sculpture, white marker pen Tagged accumulation of lines, black paper, contour lines, creating volume, hand, life mask, plaster cast, The Pixies, Uni Posca brush pen, white gelly roll pen, William Blake Leave a comment
Two sketches done a year apart in the ‘twin kiosk’ rooms in the Harem section of the Topkapi Palace in Istanbul. The first was done in 2012 focussing on the decorative tiles and trying to get the perspective right. The second … Continue reading
1mm Pigma pen reloaded with Lexington grey, Lexington grey water-brush, white Gelly Roll pen, watercolour, A6 – 50 minutes Revisiting Marlborough buildings, this time the higgledy-piggledy back, on an overcast afternoon. You can pick out some of the symmetry and … Continue reading