I’m an Urban Sketcher…
- Two days sunshine, heatwave!A couple of wisterias; Chinese on the left, Japanese on the right? Spot the foolish mosquito that interrupted my sketching... #mostlydrawing #bathurbansketchers #botanicalillustration #urbansketcher #urbansketchersSame tree (magnolia ‘umbrella tree’ in Bath Botanical Garden) but different media: ink on left, carbon pencil on right. #mostlydrawing #urbansketching #bathurbansketchers #botanicalillustrationStarted this on one dog walk, returned another day to finish it! Bosky tree in Vicky Park.100+ people sketched this week, mostly in Bath, mostly fude pen dipped in grey/black ink, all funThe first eleven for this year’s challenge to sketch 100 people in one week. #oneweek100people2020 #usk #bathurbansketchers #mostlydrawing
- 403,416 hits
- bamboo dip pen
- bamboo dip pen sketches
- Bath Abbey
- brush-pen sketching
- brush pen
- cafe sketching
- coloured paper
- daily drawing
- De Atramentis inks
- dip pen
- every day matters
- fountain pen
- fountain pen sketch
- fountain pen sketches
- fountain pen sketching
- ink brush sketches
- ink brush sketching
- Kuretake #8
- Lexington grey
- Lexington grey ink
- Manchester Symposium
- marker pen
- noodlers inks
- sketching in Bath
- sketching people
- Talking Heads
- The Clash
- The Kinks
- urban sketching
- urban sketching kit
- urban sketching technique
- white gelly roll pen
- Antonia Santolaya/Enrique Flores A chance to browse through 26 travel sketchbooks. Lots of fresh watercolour, ink and pencil location pictures.
- Buttnekkiddoodles Don Colley’s blog, sharing fabulous brush-pen drawings of people and much else. He’s a big fan of Pitt Artist brush pens.
- Danny Gregory His book ‘The Creative License’ got me sketching, and his other books have helped to keep me going. He has a wonderfully loose style, using dip-pens, saturated colour inks etc.
- Handprint Exceptionally comprehensive information on watercolour paints and equipment. Exhaustive details on pigments, translucency, comparing brands etc. Essential viewing for the true obsessive.
- James Gurney A mine of information on ‘plein air’ painting and sketching from the author of ‘Dinotopia’. Daily posts, always interesting.
- Nina Johansson Stockholm based urban sketching, with lovely clarity and glowing colours. Lots of useful information on sketching kit that helped to get me started.
- Russel Stutler Lots of very useful information on brush pens, palettes, sketching techniques. Based in Japan.
- Steven Reddy Great use of pen drawing and grey ink washes, sometimes combined with clear colour on top.
- The Sketching Forum Informal sharing of ideas, techniques, pictures and general chat about sketching. Set up by Russ Stutler.
- Urban Sketchers A constant parade of individual responses to the challenge of urban sketching. Always good for some inspiration, a new approach to try…
Tag Archives: urban sketching kit
Daily sketch-kit updated
A simpler kit; less is more, and much lighter in the pocket! Details here…
Following on from my experiments in sketching with an ink-filled water-brush I dug out an old Platinum fude brush pen. The nylon brush-tip’s a bit shredded so it’s not very detailed, but the ink flow is hugely better than the very popular Pentel … Continue reading
Posted in Bath, brush pen, buildings, drawing buildings, ink brush, Lexington grey, street scene, urban, urban sketching, vehicles Tagged Bath streets, fude brush sketches, ink brush sketching, sketches of Bath, sketching street scenes, The Libertines, urban sketching, urban sketching kit, urban sketching technique 8 Comments
In praise of pencils
I’ve tried to like pencils, really I have. I love their woody simplicity, but never found one that felt right on the paper (too waxy, too smudgy etc). But a couple of weeks ago I tried a Grafwood 6B. It’s consistently … Continue reading
Posted in Bath, blind drawing, buildings, cars, figures, hands, kit, line drawing, pencil, people, street scene, technique, urban, urban sketching Tagged drawing of hand, pencil sketches of people, pencil street-scenes, sketches of Bath, urban sketching, urban sketching kit, water-colour rose 7 Comments
Daily sketch kit update
3 months late, but here’s an update to my daily sketch-kit page…
New year, new page
The most popular posts and pages on this blog are generally concerned with kit and resources, as are most of the questions that I’m asked through comments and emails. This is great as I set up the blog after realising … Continue reading